St. Andrew’s Church, Billerica, Massachusetts
The original interior of this circa 1921 Church was decorated with colorful stenciling, ceiling medallions, wall murals and rich woodwork, all of which had been covered over by prior renovations. In the 1980’s structural problems were discovered with the roof supports and the repairs introduced large laminated beams tied together with steel tie rods to replace the decorative scissor rafters. By the late 1990’s the interior of Church had fallen into a state of visible despair and disrepair and was in need of a major face-lift. DeIulis Brothers skillfully restored the liturgical appointments and brought new life to a very tired church. The ceilings and walls, which were badly cracked and damaged, were taken down and replaced; insulation was added above the ceiling. Wood moldings were installed to soften the appearance of the laminated beams. A decorative painting scheme with extensive stenciling, multiple colors and faux finishes recalls the original Church. The altar was rebuilt to its original proportions with a new reredos flanked by Tuscan Doric columns. The tabernacle rests in the center, under a gold dome supported by smaller columns. New entrance doors, flooring, lighting, pews, upgrades to electrical and heating, and the addition of a lavatory off the narthex completed the restoration. Before and after photos appear below.
St. Andrews Church Before & After Images
4,000 square feet of interior renovations, including new altar and restored sanctuary
- Contract Value: $800K+
- Completion Date: December, 2001
- Owner: Archdiocese of Boston
- Architect: Architectural Design Concepts