From the early beginnings of the business, DeIulis Brothers engaged in real estate development, focusing primarily on site development and new single-family home construction. When the focus of the Company shifted to commercial construction, larger and more diverse development projects became possible. For this reason, in 1976 the brothers formed Pasquanna Developers, naming the company after their parents Pasquale and Anna, and shortly thereafter undertook the first of many development projects, all of which were built by DeIulis Brothers.
Chatham Street School, Lynn, MA (1976)
The City of Lynn declared this former neighborhood school surplus property and invited bids for its purchase and redevelopment. The building was originally built in the 1890’s and had been abandoned for over a decade. Pasquanna’s proposal called for rehabilitating the existing structure and adding two three story wings on either side to create 12 units of market housing. After successfully acquiring and developing this project, Pasquanna operated it as a rental property for ten years before selling it.
1805 Custom House, Salem, MA (1977)
Located on the corner of Essex and Central Streets in the center of downtown Salem, this property served as one of the first United States Custom House’s in Salem’s early maritime history. The property had fallen into disrepair when it was taken over by the Salem Redevelopment Authority (SRA) to oversee its re-use and development. At the time, the downtown was going through a period of urban renewal and a large section of Essex Street had been closed to vehicular traffic. DeIulis Brothers was in the process of reconstructing this section of Essex Street, stretching from the Peabody Essex Museum to Washington Street, which would transform this section of the downtown into a pedestrian mall, lined with trees and paved with brick and cobblestone.
When the SRA solicited bids from private developers to purchase and redevelop the property, Pasquanna Developers was one of only a handful of applicants. Pasquanna’s winning bid proposal called for restoring the original brick exterior of the building, which over the years had been covered over multiple times by several different forms of siding, renovating the street level spaces and returning them to commercial use, and converting the upper floors into 13 apartments. The idea of bringing housing into the downtown was untested and highly risky. Nevertheless, Pasquanna succeeded in securing financing through a Federal loan program administered by HUD and after successfully operating the property for more than 17 years eventually sold it in 1994.
Central Plaza Condominium, Salem, MA (1980)
The SRA had also taken control of the parcel adjacent to the 1805 Custom House on Central Street and a few years later again solicited proposals from interested developers. Pasquanna Developers submitted the winning bid to the SRA and on this site developed the Central Plaza Condominium, a 50 unit mixed use condominium project with underground parking. This was the first condominium project approved and built in the Salem Urban Renewal District, adding 34 units of housing to the downtown. The success of both of these projects ultimately led to the construction of other housing projects in the downtown.
Turn-Key Housing at YMCA and Power Buildings, Salem, MA (1983)
An example where the experience of a contractor combined with that of a developer proved to be invaluable involved this unique and first of its kind project for the Salem Housing Authority. With DeIulis Brothers providing the pre-construction and construction services, Pasquanna Developers negotiated a successful proposal to convert portions of two privately owned buildings into condominiums, purchasing the converted portions, then developing and financing the construction of public housing and selling the end product to the SHA for a pre-determined price.
The first property, owned by the YMCA, was located on Essex Street and the other, owned by the Lappin Family, was several blocks away on Washington Street. The YMCA building had existing rental rooms on the second floor which were accessed by a central staircase. The second floor was physically segregated from the rest of the building, a separate entrance was created and an elevator was added along with 8 new apartments. The second property, known as the Power Building, was a four story brick commercial building. The top two floors were purchased, a new elevator entrance was built in the rear adjacent to a new parking lot, and 8 more apartments were added. In each instance, the remaining portions of both buildings continued with their existing uses.
Lewis House Condominium, Lynn, MA (1984)
Pasquanna Developers acquired a vacant parcel on Lewis Street (Route 1A), which it subdivided and on one parcel developed The Lewis House Condominium, a 40 unit residential project, and on the other constructed a Rite Aid Pharmacy.
Prince Professional Center, Salem, MA (1986)
Pasquanna Developers and Central Plaza Associates co-developed this property on Essex Street in partnership with several local individuals. This project involved the rehabilitation of three separate but abutting buildings into 17,000 square feet of first class professional office space. The two end buildings, known as the Prince and Frye Buildings, were historically significant and were painstakingly restored to qualify the project for historic tax credits. The center building was demolished and rebuilt into more modern space and included the lobby and elevator entrance for the entire building. This property was acquired from the partnership in 1997 by DeIulis Properties, which continues to own and operate it.
Bridge Street Neck Subdivision, Salem, MA (2014)
Pasquanna Developers acquired a Brownfield’s site in the Bridge Street Neck area of Salem, adjacent to the Bypass Road and near the foot of the Veteran’s Memorial Bridge. After completing an extensive remediation of the property, the company successfully permitted and developed a five lot residential subdivision on the site.